Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I Get To See My Feelings

The author of this poem
is in my blood.
I never met her,
but she visits my heart often.
Her name is H. Madalene
a pen name,
but I know her as my Great Grandmother.

A Tree

A Tree


I stand unshielded to the world

My gnarled arms torn bare.

My crooked limbs in plainest view

I'm shorn, but should I care.

For will not the Master Gardener,

In his keen survey of things

Saw the hard knots from off my arms

And straighten crooked limbs?

And while my camouflage is gone

Me think the sun may shine through

His mighty cheer through my leafless boughs

To the chilled cold earth below.

So that's why I love to smell

The burning of the leaves

That when the warm springs comes again

And Mother Nature weaves

A charming mantle for my form

I have no fear, my heart is strong,

For I unshielded stood the storm.

H. Magdalene


When I read the poems written by my Great Grandmother

I wonder how she had the time to write such beauty.

She was a farmer's wife, mother of five children,

giving each a special talent in this world.

She cared for many other family members including my

Mother, during the summers, when she was a child.

The words must have been in her mind and she needed to see her feelings.

I understand and that is why I feel that blogging has given me such a feeling of freedom,

I get to see my feelings and they gently remind me of the times in my life.

I can only imagine if my Great Grandmother had a blog,

I know it would be WONDERFUL!

Thanks for visiting!

Enjoy!


10 comments:

Nancy said...

Kelley, that is just wonderful! So you come from a long line of creativity it seems! When and how did you find her poetry? Are there more? You should do a book with your images and her words - that would be something!
You and the ponies stay warm! Nancy

Country Wings in Phoenix said...

Oh Kelley...
Sweetie you take after your great grandmother. You wonder how with 5 children she had time to write, well I always wonder with all your babies (ponies and horses included, running that beautiful ranch of yours) how you find the time to blog. You are so busy, yet you take the time to write, host parties and visit us far away gals online like me. I so enjoy coming to see what you have experienced each day, as your life is so different than mine. Your "Happy Heart" shines through each time you write my dear friend. I so love it here.

Your granmother wrote a beautiful poem, and you glorified it today with this graphic and your love of her, by posting it. She still speaks today Kelley, and I love it.

Thank you for sharing. Country hugs sweetie and so much love, Sherry

Rebecca Lewis said...

Such beautiful words ~ thank you so much for sharing.

Amy M in Indiana said...

When I was in H.S., I did a creative project in my English class using one of her poems. The one that refers to God as the potter, and we the clay. It was one of my favorites. We had to use magazine clippings to illustrate it --almost like scrapbooking, before that got big!! I sitll have it packed away somewhere --such a great memory!
Thanks for sharing our great-grandmother with the world!

June said...

Kelley I feel rewarded coming here and reading these words tonight. I love art in all it's forms, and poetry is the truest.
Your g-grandmother had the gift.
hugs

Regina said...

Wow. Such a great poem of your great grandma.
Amazing post!
Awesome tree.

Regards dear Kelly.

Regina

Castles Crowns and Cottages said...

Oh Kelley, this touches my heart.I love to write poetry too, and you ask how she was able to manage a farm and family and still find time? A poet must write....it flows out like a flood of love. She wrote beautifully, and Kelley, you have inherited a sort of poetry from her; your photos, your narrative and your vision is just as lovely. Thank you for being you! Anita

Unknown said...

What a great post! I have letters my great grandfather wrote during the Civil War, and in them he wrote his wife poetry....I am amazed with all of the horror he saw and went thru that he could also write about spring. He was quite the romatic. I hope to start a genealogy blog soon, and I will post those letters! :)

Inspired Comblogulations said...

Kelley,
I believe, we achieve through DNA from generation to generation ... all that was destined that never reached it's destiny down the family blood line... she is blogging by DNA... reaching a new height through YOU!
In the day of explosive knowledge that was predicted and prophesied by the Creator her word are being published. Their loins will make there mark... isn't the scheme of things grand??
I loved this post Kelley and she would too.
Lee
You can't imagine what your children will do? that you were unable to! Bloodlines are a huge deal, but you already know that, by raising horses.
You are such a blessing.

Laume said...

What an incredible treasure to have your great grandmother's poetry. I was fortunate to know both my grandmothers in life, but I don't really know anything about the thoughts or lives of relatives before that.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails