Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The Birthday That Wasn't A Wedding!


I just celebrated my 50th birthday that wasn't a wedding (?) !



The sunrise the morning of my Birthday

It was a party that I would never imagined "throwing" for myself but as fortune would have it our family had a wedding planned that a very brave "Almost Bride-to-Be" decided to cancel.



One of the centerpieces from the party


All the relatives had plane tickets, hotel reservations and planned their vacations around the "almost wedding". Since all was planned we decided to make a few changes and celebrate my impending birthday instead. I felt very self indulgent and was a bit embarrassed doing such a thing. But I had the blessing and encouragement of the "almost bride" a.k.a our daughter.


The plans included friends and family at a sit down dinner with live entertainment and even photographers. A celebration that few of us would have with the exception of a wedding.


Well....I must admit I am so happy I went through with it. It was a wonderful evening of enjoying family and friends, ages 20-99 years old. We danced the night away while enjoying great food and drink. It was an evening I will never forget, one originally not planned for me but truly it was one of the best gifts I have ever received.



So why am I sharing this while I rarely blog into my personal life? To say... please don't wait for the next wedding to kick off your shoes and have a good time. We should all have reason to celebrate as if it were a wedding. Enjoy and celebrate the family and friends who surround you every day.





Now that all the wedding planning, birthday celebration is finished I return to my everyday life of TEACUPS AND PONIES. I look forward to the new foals due this spring, new projects and catching up on the wonderful world of blogging. Thanks for visiting and as the song says "Dance Like No One Is Watching" which I did and so happy for it.



Kelley

7 comments:

Rebecca Lewis said...

Hi Kelley, just came by way of your gorgeous pictures on flickr....and are they gorgeous!!!
Happy to hear you had such a great time too. ~ Rebecca

Sherry Williams said...

Oh my goodness!!! I love all the pink and green(my fave)flowers! When I saw these beautiful pictures on Flickr, I gasped!! Each arrangement is over the top beautiful. This was such a great idea to go ahead and celebrate your birthday with friends and family that were there for the wedding. Oh & BTW, your daughter did the right thing! If she wasn't 100% sure about the marriage, it wouldn't have lasted anyway. I applaud her! I know it must have been very difficult for her. I am glad you had a Happy 50th birthday celebration.
Sherry

Pat McIntosh said...

I have admired and commented on your flickr photos, never realizing you had a blog. And what a wonderful one it is. I will be back often and will list you as one of "My Favorite Blogs" on my site. Happy, Happy birthday!
Pat

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday toooo youuuuu!!!
I am just 3 years behind you on the 50!!!
Sounds like you had a wonderful celebration!!!
You are right we need to celebrate more often with family and friends...

I am headed for a memorial service today for a dear friend and pastor from my church..only 56 :(
Tough day ahead we are all in shock...But He is in heaven... thankful for that...We will truly be missed...

Love your centerpieces from the party...they are BEAUTIFUL makes me want to make one right now!!

Hugs and Blessings to you,
kayellen

Sweet Sage said...

Of course, I can't know the circumstances .. but if I could, I would hug your daughter. And I would tell her she is soooo brave. If only my daughter had listened to her heart eight years ago, she (and we along with her) would not be going through the heartache of a divorce now. Bless your daughter. And bless YOU! What wonderful memories you will have, in spite of all the tears ~
My Best To You ~
And be warm!
~kim

Anonymous said...

What a fantastic way to celebrate a 50th birthday. I'll be celebrating my 50th birthday mid-Feb next year.
Happy belated birthday!!!

Four Paws and Co said...

Happy belated birthday Kelley! I was 58 on the 15th... ♥ Diane

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails