Monday, May 11, 2009

New Arrivals, Great and Small, Old and New

This weekend brought LOTS of surprises

and I thought I was going to have a quiet Mother's Day weekend.




Meet "DOC" yes he is a draft horse (a Belgian) , we don't raise draft horses, we have never had a draft horse and we never dreamed of having a draft horse.


But...this guy is dreamy! He was owned by a friend of ours that had a auction this past weekend that included 20 horses that he used as "school horses". My husband took me kicking and screaming to the auction but when I set eyes on this gentle soul I melted. We knew his destiny was probably to be sold to a "rent a horse" program and be ridden day in and day out by those that are too "big" to fit on the other horses.


Well you know the rest of the story...he now lives with us.


He is the gentle giant drawfing all our other horses.


It really was touching after we purchased him, we had several people come up and thank us for buying him.

I think the pleasure will be all ours.


We need to beef up "Doc's" groceries, he needs to gain about 100 to 150 pounds. Oh doesn't that sound like a yummy situation to be in.

He is a little furry but the warm weather and lots of brushing will take care of that.



I am sure he will be blossoming just like the trees and th grass in the next few weeks.

I will keep you updated on the "Adventures of Doc".




Look who else arrived this weekend!

Yes," Lila Rose" has a little sister!

She is still a little shy I took this when she was about 6 hours old.


Her Mama fooled us!


We have many safeguards in place so we will be there when a foal arrives, well...this mare "undid" our safeguards and she was last checked on at 3:00 a.m..

About 7:30 a.m. morning feeding begins and we see a extra pair of ears in her stall.

Luckily all went well which we are very thankful.



Yes, she does have a name.


First I must warn you that "horse people" have a very strange way of naming their horses, usually the mare's and/or stud's name is part of the foal's name. OK here goes, the dam's name is DUAL ME DIRTY (I must add it doesn't fit this little mare and I didn't name her) but the DIRTY part is very important because she was a very successful cutting mare. So after the events of this morning let me introduce you to

DIRTY LITTLE TRICK a.k.a. "Trick"




I also went to Moving Mates which is a big sale that is held every other weekend during the summer.

It has been awhile so I went a little crazy.
I am delighted with my purchases, the steamer trunk is my favorite.



The promise of spring holds true my garden is unfurling before my eyes.


Thank you so much for visiting, usually I don't ramble on so but I as you can tell I am thrilled with all our new "treasures".


Free Signature GeneratorFree Signature Generator

12 comments:

Tara said...

Doc is absolutely drop dead gorgeous! That Dirty little baby is pretty darn cute too! Shame on her and her Mama for tricking you that way, I guess they wanted their privacy. Have a great night!

Elaine said...

What a sweet story! I am sure you will be loving parents to Doc. He is one lucky horse.

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

Okay Kelley I am speechless...that is waaay too much scoop to tell me in one post!!!

Let me start by saying I love your finds!

Congrats on your new "baby"!!! Now Lila Rose has someone to play with!

And as for the new guy...Doc is gorgeous! I don't know much about horses but he would be my favorite!!!!!!

Have fun with ALL of your new goodies!!!!!

everything vintage

kimberly said...

LUCKY!!! What a fabulous Mother's Day you had!! Doc is amazing and I wouldn't have been able to resist him either. Trick is so adorable and your steamer trunk is a wonderful find.

Justa Ann Nabors said...

Hey Kelley,
Doc is so beautiful and so built
up. He has sweetness in his look.
That little trick is something else. So pretty. And your finds,WOW.
What a wonderful filled Mothers Day.
Justa

Candy said...

What a handsome boy,Doc is.
Too bad you couldn't get Dual Me Dirty to poss beside Doc.

Fun times,
Candy

Pam Mattick Art and Stuff said...

Love your blog as always!!! Sweet new horses.
Hugs,
Pam

a quiet life said...

i have not been online much the last month to enjoy my favorite blogs, but its great to peak in and catch up here. love your new horse, such a beauty, glad you took him home.

i so enjoy seeing all your new babies, crafts and gorgeous pics. have you thought of submitting your craft pics here? http://craftgawker.com/, they are well know in the cooking circles with foodgawkers and just started this site, your stuff would be perfect there!

The Victorian Parlor said...

Doc is beautiful and he has such personality in his face:) As for Trick-she's gorgeous-what a wonderful surprise (and the name is precious:)!

Blessings,

Kim

Angela said...

Oh! How Sweet!!! She sure did play a Dirty Little Trick on you!!! lol

Hugs,
Angela

Tanya said...

Congrats on your new babies. I'm heartsick reading about all the folks out here dumping their horses because they can no longer afford them, thank you for taking Doc in. People have a tendency to overlook the sr. animals and it is great that he has a loving home.

Beach House Living said...

It appears you were meant to go the auction so you could find "Doc". So many overlook the retired unless like you say want to overwork them to get every last moment of working out of them and the older it's so great you didn't. Doc looks like a wonderful, wonderful horse.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails