Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Language of Flowers


Tarnished-Teapot
By now you possibly are getting a bit tired of my "love affair" with flowers captured by my camera.

Oh please be kind... the bouquet above is telling you something...?
But you MUST read on

I must admit this flower obsession started years ago with a "girl crush" yes it's true.

This "girl crush" was so serious I stood in line for almost 5 hours to meet the girl of my garden dreams.

This is what my garden girl wrote to me...


Of course others were in "crush" with...


you guessed it, Martha



Look at this young Martha, I wonder if she knew all that lie before her. I since have fallen out of "crush" with Martha although I still am a fan but sometimes overwhelmed with the over the top marketing of "Martha".

But Martha did get me started learning about and loving gardens.

THANK YOU MARTHA !

Now you didn't think you could get away without more pictures of my flowers, fat chance.

I do have more pictures but I thought I would add a little "Victorian" touch to them.

During the Victorian era flowers were for more than decoration.
Each flower carried an assigned meaning which was commonly understood to the recipient.

Red-Red-Rose

A Red Rose says "Pure and Lovely"

and a single red rose says "I Love you" or "I Love You Still"


Wild-Pink-Poppy
The Poppy says "Pleasure"


Wild-Lupine


Lupine is the symbol for Imagination


Daisy-Field
The Sweet Daisy speaks of Innocence, Loyal Love or "I'll never tell".


White-Astilbe


Astilbe say "I'll still be waiting"



Queen-Lily


The Yellow Lily implies "I'm walking on air"


So my tarnished teapot bouquet says to you...

"I'll still be waiting while I'm walking on air"

Waiting for what I'm not sure perhaps a short comment to say "hi"

Thank you so much for visiting...

Off to research the "thank you" flower!
Free Signature Generator

8 comments:

blushing rose said...

Elegantly peaceful! TY. TTFN~Marydon

Jodie (everything vintage) said...

I still LOVE me some Martha! A lot of people do not like her, but I've always adored her through the good and the bad. She's only human and I love her for that. I'm always thankful that she provided me the inpsiration that made me the creative person I am today. NEVER would I have thought you (or anybody else) would have posted about her but leave it to you (my soul mate), it's just one more great thing we have in common!!!!
:)
everything vintage

Tara said...

What a great lesson! I knew that the Victorians had a special language for flowers, but didn't know the specifics. I think they may have had too much time on their hands! And those poor men! God forbid they messed up and sent the wrong flower message to a certain lady. He'd never hear the end of it.

KayEllen said...

Beautiful Kelley!
I met Martha in 1994 and had her sign the first entertaining book!!!

Love your flowers...ooooo and ah all day long:)))))))

Hugs,
K

The Victorian Parlor said...

Kelley,

I completely understand being in love with flowers. I never tire of seeing the beautiful blooms from the various gardens in blogland:). Your flowers are lovely and I enjoy all of your posts with them.

Blessings,

Kim

CarolAnne - camdesign said...

Your flowers are beautiful...wow
I just bought that book at a book fair 3 weeks ago for 2.00, I had aways wanted a copy...her books are always great.
Enjoy your garden, I had to leave mine last summer when I moved and have not started a new one, I miss it very much...
Regards, Carol Ann

Whisperings 13 said...

I don't think I would ever grow tired of the sight of a flower! The poppy and Lupine (my favorites!) are brilliant!
fantastic! and what a love you bring to your garden!
:o)
Tracey

a quiet life said...

as a total garden gal i can never get enough flowers! and your pics are always so enchanting~

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails